Game Art: Project 2 - 3D/2D Character and Environment

02.06.23 - 25.06.23 (Week 9 - Week 12)
Chai Yi Xuan / 0346645 / B' Creative Media
Game Art / Entertainment Design
Project 2 / 3D/2D Character and Environment (Porting and Testing)


INSTRUCTIONS


To-Do List:

  • Select one of the characters to model


Week 10

I selected Qi as my character to model for the project. I initially wanted to do Zamira (protagonist) but Mr Kannan asked if I would be comfortable in pushing myself to model a more complicated character. I agreed, since I wanted to practice and gain new skills. I loaded up one of the model assets in ZBrush and sculpted on it, since I don't have to sculpt from scratch like I did for Anatomy class. I made changes to the ears and legs, and blockout the armor.


Figure 1.1: Base body v1


Figure 1.2: Armor blockouts, incomplete


Week 11

Working halfway through it, I realise I didn't know how to make a skirt. I hadn't figured out how to before class, so I can only present what I have for the week. I told Mr Kannan about it, and he sent some tutorials so we can refer to it. I was thankful since I didn't have to keep searching the internet for the "best" tutorial.


Figure 1.3: Armor blockout 2, incomplete


Week 12

I learned how to make a skirt, and I finally get to finish 80% of my model. My armor still lacks some details, but I decided to save it for final project since I had no time to do all of it to meet the current deadline. I also coloured it and tested out the materials so I don't have to go looking for it when I refined my model for final project.


PDF presentation file for Project 2




FEEDBACK

Week 9

You can try modeling your companion character instead of your protagonist. He looks more interesting. But you can choose if you want to push yourself or if you think you can't just stick to modeling the protagonist.


Week 10

Fix the anatomy on your character's legs. Look up on goat legs, or satyr characters as references.


Week 11

With your character's anatomy, he should hunch forward just a little. Currently, he looks a little unstable. (A lot of in-class demonstration on sculpting dragon mask and hair/fur.)




REFLECTIONS

It's my third time sculpting a character (I sculpted for Minor Project as well), and it's a whole lot easier this time around. Aside from the fact we don't have to start from scratch, I pretty much have enough experience and torture from Anatomy module to work at an efficient pace. My only issue was that I had to juggle in between modules and ended up taking some time away from this, regrettably. All in all, just a moderate amount of work and poor time management on my part.



Comments

Popular Posts