Environment Design: Fundamentals of Environment Design

06.04.23 - 12.05.23 (Week 1 - Week 6)
Chai Yi Xuan / 0346645 / B' Creative Media
Environment Design / Entertainment Design
Exercise / Fundamentals of Environment Design


INSTRUCTIONS


To-Do List:

  • Understand the fundamentals of environment design


Week 1

For our first week, we were to draw 10 perspective sketches, for one-point, two-point, and three-point perspective. Which is to be expected, since we are drawing scenic views for the module.


Figure 1.1: Perpestive sketches #1


Figure 1.2: Perpestive sketches #2


Figure 1.3: Perpestive sketches #3



Week 2

Value paintings are important to identify the contrast between subjects, hence we are to do six value painting based on existing photography.


Figure 1.4: Selected photography


Figure 1.5: Value study #1


Figure 1.6: Value study #2


Figure 1.7: Value study #3


Figure 1.8: Value study #4


Figure 1.9: Value study #5


Figure 1.10: Value study #6

Week 3

To prepare us for our projects, Mr Kannan gave us an exercise to draw a temple in multiple perspective to visualise the environment. I decide to do a temple with the mix of Greek and Shinto temples, which is related to what I want to do for my project. It was harder than I expected, since I had to visualise not only the temple, but the surrounding itself as well. I also eventually ran out of perspectives to draw, though that might be just me lacking the ability to ideate the surroundings.


Figure 1.11: Temple perspective sketches #1


Figure 1.12: Temple perspective sketches #2

 

Week 6

We were told to try to use saturation and hues to create ambience appropriate for our scenes. I wasn't too sure about what to actually do, so I pretty much just changed the hue and added lighting to the scene.


Figure 1.13: Temple ambience #1


Figure 1.14: Temple ambience #2


Figure 1.15: Temple ambience #3


Figure 1.16: Temple ambience #4


Figure 1.17: Temple ambience #5


Figure 1.18: Temple ambience #6


PDF presentation file for Exercise




FEEDBACK

Week 4

Good try. You can change the sizes for each floor/stack of the building to create more dynamic. Change the shapes/sizes of the windows as well to show more variant.


Week 5

Add more components on the mini building. Also, add elements to the pillar, to show how long it has been there (some parts can be chipped off, or add some rocks/plants/mud) Note that structures are more solid when pillars are planted deep into the ground. Evidence can be shown through adding elements on the ground and sticks to the structure.




REFLECTIONS

The first two exercises are just from Digital Matte Painting, so for that moment I could take it easy. But when we started to draw multiple perspectives for a temple, I started to have a hard time. The perspective exercises helped with me visualising the temples in multiple views, but anything beyond the building seems to be lost on me. It was then I realise my true weakness isn't in perspective, but it's actually ideating the environment itself. My first sketch was nice, but it slowly derails into a bland area because I didn't think of adding other elements into it. I also realise there's a lot more than just adding buildings and stuff into the place, as depending on how long a certain structure is there, there will be signs of aging and cracks. I will say that it is a very helpful exercise since I can take my knowledge here and apply it to my projects.



Comments

Popular Posts