Vehicle & Props Design: Fundamentals of Vehicle Design

02.09.22 - 29.09.22 (Week 1 - Week 5)
Chai Yi Xuan / 0346645 / B' Creative Media
Vehicle & Props Design
Exercises / Fundamentals of Vehicle Design


INSTRUCTIONS


To-Do List:

  • Study the basics of vehicle design


Week 1

For the first exercise of the class, we have to blockout various vehicles for land, water, and air. We are free to choose any vehicle to study. I looked up for vehicles through Pinterest, picking whichever I think looks interesting. I block them out using geometrical shapes and sharp edges.


Figure 1.1: Air vehicles study


Figure 1.2: Land vehicle study


Figure 1.3: Water vehicle study


Week 2

For this week, Mr Kannan wanted us to try our hand at drawing vehicles ourselves. We are to pick one type of vehicle and select another subject for a hybrid model. I decide to choose a turtle as an inspiration. I couldn't decide if I wanted to make an above water boat or an underwater ship, so I did both.


Figure 1.4: Hybrid vehicle sketches


Figure 1.5: Hybrid vehicle, refined


Week 3

We have to do some prop studies, so I picked an easy sample for me to draw.


Figure 1.6: Prop studies, cup


Week 4

This week's exercise is to draw our hybrid vehicle in various perspectives. It is meant for us to practice visualising and drawing vehicles in multiple angles. I chose my preferred design among all the hybrid model I have drawn and drew them in different perspectives.


Figure 1.7: Hybrid model, multiple perspectives


PDF presentation file for Exercises




FEEDBACK

Week 4

Hybrid model looks okay, but you can add more breaks in between each section to make it more interesting.




REFLECTIONS

Starting this module, I was afraid of getting burnt out quite fast. Vehicles and props isn't my strongest suit, and I prefer to avoid drawing them if I could. I don't have a strong interest vehicles either, so I wasn't looking forward to it as much as I do towards other modules. Despite so, the exercises that Mr Kannan have us do made me sit down and study the structure of vehicles. Thanks to that, I learned a little more about the overall silhouettes of certain vehicles, and could probably draw a simple one (with no details) more easily. The hybrid model exercise was a fun exercise, as I could implement an animal feature into vehicles and make them look cool. Having done that, I think I can look forward to other assignments if I can create vehicles with hybrid-like looks.



Comments

Popular Posts