Character Design: Task 3 - Character Design Execution

14.11.22 - 05.12.22 (Week 12 - Week 15)
Chai Yi Xuan / 0346645 / B' Creative Media
Character Design / Entertainment Design
Task 3 / Character Design Execution


INSTRUCTIONS


To-Do List:

  • Create a hero pose for your character
  • Create splash art (poster, introduction card, etc.)
  • Render your character as a 3D model


Week 12

From the poses I did in Task 2, I selected one of them and redrew my character on it.


Figure 1.1: Hero pose sketch


After some feedback from Miss Anis, I readjusted the proportion of my character to better suit the perspective she is in.


Week 13

Initially, I thought of making a Character Bio sheet, similar to what the My Hero Academia manga has. While looking for a sample in Pinterest, I came across a character sheet of one of the characters that looks way better visually. It also would fit my hero pose, which occupies a lot of width.



Figure 1.2: Initial splash art idea and reference


Figure 1.3: New splash art idea and reference


Since I haven't finish the hero pose, I prepared the format and background of the splash art.

 

 

Figure 1.4: Splash art format

Week 14

I drew up the line art of the hero pose, and coloured them in. Since I felt that the pose alone is bland, I added some water effects to create movement and dynamic in the design. I then added the shading and rendered some lighting onto the artwork.


Figure 1.5: Hero pose, coloured


Figure 1.6: Hero pose, rendered


I then combined both my hero pose and splash art background for the final design.


Figure 1.7: Final splash art design


Week 15

The entire process of modeling my character was a grueling journey, with many sweat and tears, but it was finally done and ready. Due to some technical difficulties, inexperience and lack of time, I had to made quite a few adjustments to my model. In the end, I didn't add Mizuki's wires and made a new hero pose. I was happy with what I have, but I felt that I could probably do better with more resource and time.


Figure 1.8: 3D model of Mizuki

 

The written journey of creating my 3D model is recorded in Anatomy & Character Sculpture: Project Compilations.


Final PDF presentation for Task 3




FEEDBACK

Week 14

Good pose, but readjust the right arm by making it smaller so it fits the perspective. Aside from that, the splash art is a nice idea, looking forward to see it completed.




REFLECTIONS

This is pretty much the easiest part of the module so far, if it wasn't for the 3D model requirement. I have zero experience in modeling prior to this, and having the program crash on me so often has made the process even more torturous. Putting aside my frustrations on ZBrush, the splash art was a fun process for me. I draw illustrations on my free time, and being able to do this for my assignment was definitely a breather from the more tasking projects I have done so far.



Comments

Popular Posts