Design Principles: Project 1

27.09.21 - 15.09.21 (Week 6 - Week 8)
Chai Yi Xuan / 0346645 / B' Creative Media
Design Principles
Project 1 / Self-Portrait




LECTURES

Week 6

What is a self-portrait? A self-portrait is not just an illustration or photograph of yourself, but a representation/visual deception of yourself. It shows how the designer view themselves, their feelings, and how they want to present themselves to the world. It is important for one to know how to define themselves before starting on their self-portrait. Self-portrait is a great opportunity for designers for self-exploration. To discover one's self, there multiple ways such as:

  • How other's view you
  • How you view yourself
  • Your experiences
  • Your interests
  • Your thoughts

Self-portrait is not limited to just the subject's face, but can also be an exaggeration of an expression or a fusion between surrealistic elements and the subject.



INSTRUCTIONS



To-Do List

  • Create a self-portrait


Before starting off the self portrait, Dr Charles said that we should get to know ourselves better so we would know what we want in our design. He suggested the Proust Questionnaire, a series of questions that one can ask to know more about a person. I answered them, as well as asking from my friends about their opinion of me.

Once I gathered enough information about myself, I searched up on some self-portraits through Pinterest to get some inspiration for the project.


Figure 1.1: A woman taking her 'mask' off (Link)


Figure 1.2: A woman facing a mirror (Link)


Figure 1.3: A silhouette slightly distorted from the window's texture (Link)


Design Process

After getting some inspiration, I chose a few aspects about myself and created a few drafts based on them.


Figure 1.3: Self-portrait sketch #1

 

Concept for the sketch: I noticed that despite how I felt that treat most people equally, they all have different opinions about me. Ranging from motherly to a serious person, there are just some people that I would act about differently to suit their interaction style. In the end, even if I am perceived differently from person to person, I always try to let my authenticity shine through the mask— for those who I'm close to and care for.


Figure 1.4: Self-portrait sketch #2


Concept for the sketch: As much as I try to be open-minded, I'm always fearful of change. If possible, I prefer to have things stay as it were, without having to anticipate the unknown. However, change is inevitable— and no matter how much I deny it, it would have to come eventually.


Figure 1.5: Self-portrait sketch #3

Concept for the sketch: I find comfort in being near bodies of water, so much so that I sometimes wish to float underwater, feeling weightless and hearing nothing but the silence. This portrait was to reflect the darkness and emptiness of the bottomless sea, yet I am nothing but content to float among it.


After receiving some feedback from Dr Charles, I decided that sketch #1 was a good idea for my self-portrait. I proceeded with colouring and finalizing the self-portrait.


Final Outcome


Figure 1.6: Self-portrait


Multiple Faces, One Person

"A face for each person. A different person to another. How you see me differs from another individual. In the end, they're all me— and those close to me, shall see the sincerity of my heart."



PDF File of Project 01




FEEDBACK

Week 7

Sketch #1 & #2 has a good concept. For sketch #1, try to align the eye levels so it looks balanced. For sketch #2, try making the cage bigger than the figure, to emphasize on the intimidating feeling.



REFLECTIONS

Experience

This assignment gave me a chance to explore the differences in my perspective and of others.


Observations



Findings




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts