Environment Design: Project 1 - Exterior & Landscape Design

18.05.23 - 09.06.23 (Week 7 - Week 10)
Chai Yi Xuan / 0346645 / B' Creative Media
Environment Design / Entertainment Design
Project 1 / Exterior & Landscape Design


INSTRUCTIONS


To-Do List:

Develop a location based on a theme/story that it proposed from a game/movie


Week 7

I drew the concept for my landscape design before getting into thumbnail sketches. In Persona 5, the player has to clear a few areas of the palace before gaining the perfect infiltration route to steal the Treasure. I decided to do something similar, and planned out three different levels. I made the structure to be on floating rocks, and the player will be required to clear out the current area and have the other small floating rocks around to form a pathway to the next level.


Figure 1.1: Layout and map sketches

 

Week 8

I started sketching out some thumbnail sketches for the area. I tried sketching out all three levels so I can better visualise the surroundings. I also did a mini silhouette for the temple so I can get the idea of how the temple will look like.


Figure 1.2: Silhoutte and simple breakdown of temple structure


Figure 1.3: Thumbnail sketches #1

 

Week 9

I made more sketches this week, further defining my main temple. I decide to focus more on it, since it's where the protagonist will fight with the antagonist.


Figure 1.4: Thumbnail sketches #2

 

Week 10

Since I didn't have much time left, I decided to just paint over my own sketch to save time. It's plain and flat, but I decided to further refine it in the final project.


Figure 1.5: Coloured exterior scene


PDF presentation file for Project 1




FEEDBACK

Week 10

Add detailed shadings to the tree (change colour cuz blending too much with the sky). The colour and vibe is there, but in the future detail out your temple. Make more variations for pillars to make it interesting. You can try adding banners/flags representing the area as well. Change the pathway to something like broken stairs and add something at the back to fill the empty space— maybe some overgrown plants around to add life (and an extra tree at the side of the platform).




REFLECTIONS

To be honest, I was a little scared of this module, since I hated drawing background whenever I did illustrations on my spare time. It's because I find it hard to visualise it, so I usually end up with plain colour background or very low-quality and blurred out scene. This project started to push me out of my comfort zone and it challenged my ability to create and tell a story. While the process was somewhat torturous, I started getting used to drawing things in proper perspectives and learned more about how to create a story just by changing certain elements in my structure/environment.



Comments

Popular Posts