Design Principles: Exercise 2

31.08.21 - 14.09.21 (Week 2 - Week 4)
Chai Yi Xuan / 0346645 / B' Creative Media
Design Principles
Exercise 2 / Emphasis, Balance, Repetition, Movement





LECTURES


Week 2 (Balance & Emphasis)

Balance: Distribution of visual weight in design

This principle is about visual equilibrium, where elements are arranged in a way to make the composition feel balanced. There are two types of balance.

  • Symmetrical balance
  • Asymmetrical balance

 

Golden Ratio: A mathematical concept

The Golden Ratio is commonly known as the composition in the shape of a seashell. Even after many centuries, the Golden Ration is said to the epitome of beauty that is only found in nature.

In design, the Golden Ratio is used as a guide to create visual balance, harmony and structure to one's work. And subsequently, the visual appeal of an artwork.


Rule of Third: A composition guideline

The Rule of Third creates dynamism in one's work. It is a guide which divides a composition evenly into thirds(three horizontal and three vertical lines), then placing the subject on any of the lines.


Emphasis: A focal point in a design

This principle creates dominance of an element or focus onto an artwork. Emphasis can be made through size, colour, and shape.



INSTRUCTIONS



To-Do List:

  • Create two designs for the principles emphasis/balance/repetition/movement

 

For this exercise, we are allowed to choose two of the four principles and make a design for each. I chose the principles Emphasis and Balance.

 

EMPHASIS

I understood that emphasis can be created from contrast, but I made sure to look up on examples of emphasis to get a clearer image of what the principle is.

 

Figure 1.1.1: A pile of seashells (Link)


The emphasis created in this photo was the difference of size. Among the seashells that are similar in size, only one of them is larger compared to the others. Therefore, it takes up most of the audience's view.


Figure 1.1.2: A starfish among the stones (Link)


In this image, the emphasis is brought out by the difference of shapes. The starfish becomes the focal point of the viewer— not just by the its lighter shade, but also being the odd shape among the smooth round stones.


Figure 1.1.3: A photo of opened umbrellas (Link)

In this last photograph, colour creates emphasis. Since each umbrella has the same size and shape, the red umbrella stood out among the black ones because of its colour. 


Design Process

I started creating my design once I had enough inspiration.

 

Figure 1.1.4: Draft for Emphasis

My idea was to create emphasis using shape and colour. By placing the cat among the pack of dogs, and making it the brightest among them was enough to create emphasis. The idea itself was good enough, and I was satisfied with how it turned out. Hence, I only made tiny adjustments for the final submission.


Figure 1.1.5: Finalised design for Emphasis



BALANCE

Again, before jumping in, I looked up for some inspiration for the principle Balance.


Figure 1.2.1: An artwork of a swan on water (Link)


This artwork shows balance through the reflection of the swan on the water. The reflection is perfectly symmetrical, and the colour scheme is maintained(although inverted), giving the artwork a strong sense of balance.


Figure 1.2.2: An artwork of colourful trees (Link)


This design also shows symmetrical balance— not in terms of visually symmetrical, but the visual weight. The amount elements are equal on both sides, dividing the tension in between. Because of the equal amount of elements, the composition is symmetrically balance in visual weight.


Figure 1.2.3: A photo of a lamp post (Link)


For this composition, it uses asymmetrical balance. Although the shape of the lamp post is symmetrical, the objects hanging on both ends are different in size. This creates a difference in visual weight, and therefore creates asymmetrical balance.


Design Process

After observing many compositions, I designed a composition for Balance.


Figure 1.2.4: Draft for Balance

My inspiration comes from poker cards, which has a symmetrical design(especially the Joker, Queen and King cards). I also wanted to play with the word Balance— which also means to remain upright and steady. Therefore, I made my first draft. It has the idea I wanted, but it was too simple. So I added more to the composition.


Figure 1.2.5: 2nd draft of the design

In my 2nd attempt, I refined the figure and made her hold an element(a flower and a star) to make the composition more filled. I also changed the colour scheme to something more saturated to make it more visually appealing. The circles the figures were standing on were merged into one, to make the design more harmonised instead of a direct split in the middle.


Figure 1.2.6: Finalised design for Balance




PDF File of Exercise




FEEDBACK

Week 4

14th September, Tuesday

Dr Charles noted how my Emphasis design was interesting, as it also used foreground to enhance the principle. He was satisfied with it overall, and suggested that I colour the cat's collar to add on to the emphasis. He was okay with my idea for Balance, however, told me that I should add more elements to fill in the negative space.



REFLECTIONS

Experience 

As usual, tutorials and practicals were very informative as we get to receive feedback on our drafts and observe other's works.

 

Observations

I noticed that emphasis and contrast may have similarities, but they are applied in different ways. Contrast is created by placing two different elements with each other, further highlighting the subject. On the other hand, emphasis is created through placing a different element among many similar ones— disrupting the flow and thus making the odd one stand out.

With this new understanding, I can further improve on utilizing Contrast and Emphasis in my future designs.

 

Findings

I found that composition plays a very important part in design. If a composition is badly put together, it only confuses the audience and makes the work incomprehensible. This means I have to practice the Golden Ration and Rule of Third, to create better compositions and make my designs look more appealing.

I must improve on my use of the Golden Ratio, as I never used the composition and it would do me well to expand on my skills.

Comments

Popular Posts